On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 5:52 PM Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2023, 6:22 PM Kevin Oberman <rkober...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, they are still around, but not functional. They are symlinks to nda
>> devices, but the symlinks don't work well.
>>

> They work for filesystem access.

Not too surprised, but I didn't try it. Should have looked more closely
before sending it.

> I have no idea when the symlink of nvd to nda happened, but after updating
>> my system to main-n263630-ab3e6234ab6e, at least geom related commands no
>> longer function using nvd0p?. I hit this when trying to use gpart and geli.
>> gpart claims "gpart: No such geom: /dev/nvd0." geli responds (after
>> entering a passphrase) "geli: Provider not found: "/dev/nvd0p7"My previous
>> system version was main-n262908-c16e08e5f324.
>>

> These will work with nda. They should likely work with the nvd aliases,
> but don't it seems (though you don't need the /dev/ for geom commands).
>
> Was this just a failure of muscle memory, or was there persistent config
> that failed?

Yes, I had confirmed that nda worked and I know that /dev is not required
for geom commands, but I've never bothered to test whether gpt/label worked
and I tend to use labels.

> Was this intentional? If so, why was this change made?  If not, could it
>> be fixed? Since I usually use geli with the /dev/gpt devices, I didn't
>> notice it right away, but it could certainly  surprise many users.

Commands used were "gpart show nvd0" and "geli attach -d -k ************
/dev/nvd0p7". Also tried both with and without the "/dev" which fail for
nvd*  and succeed with nda*.

All these questions are answered in the UPDATING entry from when I switched
> the default:

I should have checked UPDATING.

--

E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com