hi there,
i've got a workstation running CURRENT that recently ran out of swap space. i killed the usual suspects (chrome, firefox and thunderbird) and noticed some odd behavior. while some memory did get freed up - after leaving the system idle for 4 hours i still have 14G or memory in the Laundry according to top. I also have noticed that very little data has paged out of swap (100MB out of 2G).

i was wondering if there was a good way to determine what is in the laundry, or get diagnostic info on why it's not cleaning itself up? when i've seen this before only a reboot will get the system back to being stable, if i re-launch my desktop apps they'll quickly start trying to page out to disk again creating an OOM condition.

system has 32G of RAM and is running this checkout
FreeBSD topanga 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #66 main-n263884-d2a45e9e817a: Thu Jun 29 15:50:44 PDT 2023

Cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright