> On Aug 10, 2023, at 2:38 AM, Matthias Apitz <g...@unixarea.de> wrote:
>
> El día Wednesday, August 09, 2023 a las 06:04:16PM +0200, Moin Rahman
> escribió:
>
>> This perfectly builds on the latest HEAD without any problem as shared in my
>> build log. I am not sure what is wrong at your end. Neither can I see any
>> fallout on the clusters.
>
> I've cc'ed freebsd-current@
>
> I did two times the building of lang/python27 within poudriere on
> 14.0-CURRENT:
>
> =>> Building lang/python27
> build started at Tue Aug  8 04:05:20 CEST 2023
> port directory: /usr/ports/lang/python27=>> Building lang/python27
>
> =>> Building lang/python27
> build started at Thu Aug 10 06:33:53 CEST 2023
> port directory: /usr/ports/lang/python27
>
> The first failed, the one of today went fine. The main difference in the
> building log is:
>
> failing job:
> --MAKE_ENV--
> OPENSSLBASE=/usr/local OPENSSLDIR=/usr/local/openssl
> OPENSSLINC=/usr/local/include OPENSSLLIB=/usr/local/lib
> OPENSSLRPATH=/usr/local/lib
>
> fine job:
> --MAKE_ENV--
> OPENSSLBASE=/usr OPENSSLDIR=/etc/ssl OPENSSLINC=/usr/include
> OPENSSLLIB=/usr/lib
>
> I didn't changed anything in the poudriere config or port's options. The
> only thing I did between was yesterday evening a 'git pull' in
> /usr/ports.
>
> What could have triggered this change of the used SSL version?

1. lang/python27 is no longer supported upstream.
2. lang/python27’s modules and compatible third-party packages won’t work with
OpenSSL 3; they depend on OpenSSL 1.x specific symbols/APIs.

If you want to make lang/python27 work with OpenSSL 3, you’re going to port the
modules to OpenSSL 3

My question is: why are you doing this, given that it’s no longer receiving
upstream updates (functional or security)?

Cheers,
-Enji

PS IIRC, there were lang/python27 forks out there that might be used as
inspiration for the OpenSSL 3 uplift, but again… I don’t understand why effort
is being spent making the two (Python 2 and OpenSSL 3) work.