Mike Meyer wrote:

> I do read cvs-all, and I missed it. Not did I find device.hints in the
> relevant Makefiles. Can you provide a pointer to details on how
> /boot/device.hints is used in the build process, or how having an
> empty one keeps you from shooting yourself in the foot?

Actually, device.hints isn't used in the build process.  Your
KERNEL.hints file is hard-coded into the kernel when your kernel is
built (assuming you use one).  /boot/device.hints is used to override
the "hardcoded" values of hints, KERNEL.hints, at boot time.  Sometimes,
people can make a mistake in KERNEL.hints, and it's necessary to
override those hints with /boot/device.hints.  So, device.hints is
created after-the-fact, and not part of the kernel build.  Of course, if
you don't have any hints to override, then just install an empty
device.hints file.

device.hints is there to save you from rebuilding your kernel every time
you want to change a hint value.

-Donn