> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Matthew Jacob
>writes:
> : > I do read cvs-all, and I missed it. Not did I find device.hints in the
> : > relevant Makefiles. Can you provide a pointer to details on how
> : > /boot/device.hints is used in the build process, or how having an
> : > empty one keeps you from shooting yourself in the foot?
> :
> : cvs-all is not appropriate. I am noticing a 3-7 day lag on UPDATING.
> : Bad.
>
> cvs-all *IS*REQUIRED* for all people running -current.  UPDATING tries
> to cull things from there on an as needed basis.  It is a service that
> gets done when I have time.  If someone wants to pay me a stipend to
> drop everything the instant something is committed to the tree and
> update UPDATING, then the lag will improve.  Otherwise, 3-7 days
> really isn't that bad and will continue to be the case.
>
> Warner

Oops- I realize that what I said might have been construed as criticism- not
meant at all!

What I meant is that while cvs-all can be read by everyone, it's not always
obvious from the flood of mail there, or if you're not a developer, what needs
to change.

In my opinion, people making major changes that require something in UPDATING,
should coordinate with you *before* the commit. Only 5 or 6 brain cells are
needed for this- I sure wish some of my fellow committers weren't such
skinflints in this area.

-matt