>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 9/7/00, 12:18:07 PM, Mark Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding
Re: XFree86 :

> > Hi,
> > I have installed XFree86 and there is no XF86Setup. Have you any idea
-
> > why?
> > I want to increase depth of color and modifing /etc/XF86Config has no
> > result.

> Tcl/Tk.

> Build X, clean it out. Build Tcl/Tk 8.2. Build X again. You'll have
XF86Setup.

> BTW - there is no XF86Setup in XFree86-4 yet.

> --
> Mark Murray
> Join the anti-SPAM movement: http://www.cauce.org

Dear Mark Murray,

from my installation.log, just to add another datapoint:

<installation.log>

===>  Configuring for XFree86-3.3.6
Using tk-8.3
Which servers do you wish to build, you can save a lot of disk space
by only compiling the server you will be using.  It will also save you
considerable compile time.
*** If you want to use XF86Setup to set the INITIAL configuration,
*** then you must build the VGA server
Do you want to build the VGA16 server? [YES] Y
Do you want to build the VGA16Dual server? [YES] Y

</installation.log>

IMHE, the configuration is possible via [a] few different versions;
mine is, er, are currently tcl-8.3.1 and tcl-8.2.3; I recall
installing XFree86-3.3.6 immediately after I had installed tk-8.3 (ie
which, in turn, installed tcl-8.3.1).

Also, as a quick look at the PLIST confirms, different versions of Tcl
-- Tool Command Language -- can (should) happily coexist :-)

Best regards,
Salvo