Johnny Eriksson wrote:

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > :- The majority of these programs could be handled by adding knowledge of
> > :- "-" as a magic filename to fopen(3).
> >
> > Suppose I *want* a filename called "-"?  My tough luck, huh?
>
> Could you settle for "./-"?

I think any "magic" name is not very good idea. To say more, it breaks POSIX.
File names are a tratitional UNIX way to access character and block devices;
in System V you can access much more via file names, using streams.
Magic numbers are for MS DOS (remember COM1 and LPT1? :-)

I am not sure /proc/<any number> names are very useful, but
/dev/std{in|out|err} definitely are.

--
          * *        Konstantin Chuguev - Application Engineer
       *      *              Francis House, 112 Hills Road