On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 13:35:52 -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:

> READ: "single byte"
> You are breaking CJK multibyte support.  Why? Why do you want make
> software engineering mistakes?

1) Nobody can break something which not exist yet.
2) The stuff discussed is optional and not using it you got old
functionality.

> Why should you ignore the multibyte stuff because it is harder?

Not for this reason, but because it must be implemented at higher
abstraction level first to be considered. Since I have no much interest
in multibyte characters, it is not mine task in general, but others.

> The proposal breaks multibyte support and I do not believe it is acceptable

Again, I see no way how it can break nonexisten support. Remember that
conversion table is optional and without loading it you got exact previous
functionality variant.

Very similar stuff is in MSDOSFS for years and nobody complains.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/

    • ... Maxim Sobolev