Sean Chittenden wrote:

>>>I am ready to do my megga-commit to add the first stage of KSE-threading support
>>>the kernel. If there is any argument as to the wisdom of this move,
>>>then this is the time to speak up!
>>>

>       I have one system that I've been maintaining/updating since the
> 2.X days and I feel it's time to nuke it and start over. +1 for a
> non-smp system and SMP system.
>
>       That said, I think the value of having both KSE and SMPng in 5.0
> is HUGE and I think there is probably a large number of people that
> would be willing to endure kernel panics, dumps, etc. because the value
> (in terms of technological accomplishment and saleability in the
> corporate space) would be absolutely worth the bumpy road.  -CURRENT
> isn't worth tracking unless the dumps, bugs, etc are all going toward
> both SMPng and KSE.

Hey, anyone running -current without a tape drive attached with a daily dump schedule
is either insane, a masochist, or both.

Read my post from this morning about the mysterious filesystem corruption I had this
morning...  Kudos to Justin Gibbs for fixing
EOM detection [let's get his scsi_sa.c patches committed ASAP]!!!

>       If there are grave concerns about having KSE and SMPng in 5.X,
> then why not push back the release date?  The value far outweighs the
> extra months needed to get it finished and out the door, but what do I
> know, I'm just a quiet kernel by standard making an observation. -sc

Good idea.

jim
--
ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!