Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Thyer, Matthew writes:
>  >
>  > Now xterm 1 has the message "yp_first: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out"
>  > as its first line and xterm 2 has two of these messages.

> The problem is that there is no global caching of NIS maps.  Each app
> maintains its own cache..

Since these are libc functions being used (gethostbyname, gethostbyaddr,
getpwent etc etc) it is under the control of the operating system to
do such caching and if most other operating systems do cache we are
not likely to see many apps caching themselves.

So the answer is a name service caching daemon ala nscd on Solaris.

That's my preferred option as we still have control and can
invalidate cache entries (nscd -i passwd) if required.

The Solaris nscd is quite configurable.. see /etc/nscd.conf from
Solaris 7:

#
# Copyright (c) 1994 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
#ident  "@(#)nscd.conf  1.3     96/10/09 SMI"
#

#
#       Currently supported cache names: passwd, group, hosts
#

#       logfile                 /var/adm/nscd.log
#       enable-cache            hosts           no

        debug-level             0

        positive-time-to-live   passwd          600
        negative-time-to-live   passwd          5
        suggested-size          passwd          211
        keep-hot-count          passwd          20
        old-data-ok             passwd          no
        check-files             passwd          yes

        positive-time-to-live   group           3600
        negative-time-to-live   group           5
        suggested-size          group           211
        keep-hot-count          group           20
        old-data-ok             group           no
        check-files             group           yes

        positive-time-to-live   hosts           3600
        negative-time-to-live   hosts           5
        suggested-size          hosts           211
        keep-hot-count          hosts           20
        old-data-ok             hosts           no
        check-files             hosts           yes

Other options are to follow IRIX and have "nsd" and nsadmin to
control it but I think following Sun would be more popular.

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Science Corporate Information Systems         Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537

 IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
 Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the
 CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are
 requested to contact the sender and delete the email.