Thyer, Matthew writes:

 > Now xterm 1 has the message "yp_first: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out"
 > as its first line and xterm 2 has two of these messages.

What's really fun is when you've got a rack or two of machines which
are NIS clients and their switch blows out overnight.  As soon as they
regain network connectivity, they'll try to melt your mailserver down.
Why?  Because cron is going to send mail to root, bitching about
"yp_first: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out" every 5 minutes (from atrun).
For one rack of 1Us, that's an accumulation of at least 504msgs per
hour (actually, its a lot more)

 > So I'd like to do a little bit of investigation and was wonderring
 > if other people have some insight as to where to look.

The problem is that there is no global caching of NIS maps.  Each app
maintains its own cache..

Drew