On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:49:56AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > > It is actually non-fatal.  It should probably be added to the list
> > > of tools to build for making the kernel.
> > >
> > This is not enough -- it should be made a cross-tool, much like
> > the gensetdefs in -STABLE is.  The binary format produced is MD.
> > If we don't, we should disable it (-DNO_XREF) for cross-builds.
>
> Was there ever any resolution to this issue?  I just tripped over it
> trying to update a 4-STABLE box to -CURRENT.  (The solution I used,
> which was to manually install kldxref and the version of libc.so that
> it was linked against, probably isn't general-purpose.)

I do make -CURRENT worlds every night on a -STABLE box, and the
kldxref(8) miss is non-fatal:

===> splash/pcx
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   splash_pcx.ko /CURRENT/boot/kernel/
===> sr
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_sr.ko /CURRENT/boot/kernel/
===> streams
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   streams.ko /CURRENT/boot/kernel/
===> vesa
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   vesa.ko /CURRENT/boot/kernel/
===> wi
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_wi.ko /CURRENT/boot/kernel/
kldxref /CURRENT/boot/kernel
kldxref:No such file or directory
*** Error code 1 (ignored)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Oracle Developer/DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age