If memory serves me right, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:25:48PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > > I do make -CURRENT worlds every night on a -STABLE box, and the
> > > kldxref(8) miss is non-fatal:
> > > ===> wi
> > > install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_wi.ko /CURRENT/boot/kernel/
> > > kldxref /CURRENT/boot/kernel
> > > kldxref:No such file or directory
> > > *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> >
> > This seems to be a bug in kmod.mk :-).  It intentionally ignores errors.
> >
> This is not a bug, but a work-around for the above bug that klxref(8) is
> not a cross-tool, but should (ideally) be.

OK, sounds good.  Seems to me this is something that might deserve a
mention in UPDATING.  Something like:

        During a source upgrade of a 4-STABLE machine to -CURRENT, the
        installkernel step will attempt to execute a non-existent kldxref
        executable.  (kldxref exists in -CURRENT, but not in 4-STABLE.)
        This error is non-fatal and can be ignored.

Cheers,

Bruce.