> > Any famous last words before the fat lady sings ?
I think we should go for it. :)

> Well, playing the devil's advocate -- isn't this the type of discussion the
> preceeded the introduction of Perl into the base system, the introduction of
> which created such a mess that we finally took Perl out of the base system
> in -CURRENT?
But expat is only one header and one lib. (IMO xmlwf shoudn't be in the base system.
Anyone who needs it should install the expat port..)

> Now I realize that expat is much less complicated than Perl, but have we
> fully addressed interoperability concerns?  I know that the /usr vs
> ${LOCALDIR}distinction between the base system and ports fixes most of them,
> at least for experienced users.
>
> My biggest concern is the minority of users installing expat2 from
> ports/packages and then not being able to figure out how to use it, since
> they always get expat1 since /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in $PATH.
There's no bin. (Except the uneeded xmlwf..)
> I'm sure there will also be issues with autoconf-based ports that don't do
> proper version checking of libraries which will pick up static libs /
> headers from /usr instead of /usr/local as well.
If we rename the lib and the header there shouldn't be a problem.

(But there also woudn't be a problem if it's called expat and we keep the version
up-to date... IMO if it is expat - it should be called expat. But I could also live
with an expatXYZ..)

Marc