On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:18:47PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>             Terry Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : > Nope.  The only difference between 53 bits and 64 bits of precision is
> : > just that: precision.  The number of bits for expoentent is
> : > independent of this.
> :
> : .125 ^ 2 = 0.015625
> : .25 ^ 3 = 0.015625
> :
> : So if I go from 3 digits of precision to 2 digits of precision for
> : my mantissa, in order to represent the same number, I need a larger
> : exponent.
>
> That's not how it works.  The exponent is more like
>
> .1250000 * 2^3
> vs
> .1249999  * 2^3
>
> Both have exponent 3, but the differ by a bit or two in the mantissa.

Loren already posted a pointer to "What Every Scientist Should
Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic" by David Goldberg.  But,
for Terry edification

http://cch.loria.fr/documentation/IEEE754/ACM/goldberg.pdf

This is only 1 of 66100 hits from a google search with
keywords "floating point scientist".

--
Steve