In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Steve Kargl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:15:09PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
: > On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Mark Murray wrote:
: > > This shouldn't be a problem. The commercial software Should Not Be(tm)
: > > supporting something as variable as CURRENT, and with the STABLE libraries
: > > around in COMPAT mode, the compiler Will Just Work(tm) (or should with
: > > not much effort).
: > >
: > > By the time __sF is mainstream, I guess the vendor will have adapted
: > > their product to match. Win, win.
: >
: > This isn't the case for one piece of vendor software that I'm not allowed
: > to talk about.
: >
:
: See the new WANT_COMPAT4_STDIO make.conf knob.

But that knob is a total kludge and *WRONG* for this case.  It lets
things link, but you are still cross threading 4.x and 5.x binaries,
which is asking to be shot in the foot.

Warner