David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:37:05PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:

"David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:

If it's allowed, it whould probably only be allowed in the
user name (i.e. the patch is wrong; it should probably add
another parameter to the allowable values of 'int gecos', and
change it to 'int checktype' or similar).
I don't have a problem with this, but the patch I sent in is the
extent of my abilities to give me desired results(making pw like
samba)
See attached patch.  It could still screw scripts (e.g. the perl
script version of "adduser") by allowing the "$" in the login
field, but at least it keeps it out of the login class and group
fields.

That sounds great!

I think you misunderstand.

The intent is to allow accounts without "$" appended to be used
as machine logins.  Samba would see the '$', remove it, and check
normally.

The proper "BSD way" to avoid this hack would be to add a login
class "samba_server" (or whatever), and make Samba permit this
type of check only if the user was in the correct login class.
I have just forwared the above suggestion to Volker Lendecke from
the "samba team", since:

1. It makes perfect sense at least to me.

2. Accidentally I know him personally, so he will not mind nagging.

Unfortunately they have to support more than just BSD, but I do agree with you that there is probably a better way of doing things. I am just not technically inclined enough to bring this to the attention of the samba team properly. I do have some contacts I could forward to anyone that is interested in trying to persuade them though.
--
	Marcin Dalecki