Bruce Cran wrote:

Your CD drive should indeed support UDMA33 - my DVD drive supports
UDMA33, and my CDRW supports multi-word DMA, even though my BIOS only
ever configures it for PIO4, and my DVD for UDMA33.   FreeBSD only ever
configures them for PIO during bootup, but, using the atacontrol
program, it configures them both for maximum speed, even knowing they
_can_ only do UDMA33,WDMA2.
If you have a look at sysctl hw.ata tree, it'll give you the clue on how to overcome this behaviuor. In simple words, what you need is to poot

hw.ata.atapi_dma=1

in your /boot/loader.conf and have the nirvana of automatic DMA detection...

--
/Voland Vadim Belman
http://www.lflat.org