On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:01:25PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:08:04AM +0100, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> > Now, that OpenWatcom is released, the FreeBSd port of it should follow.
> > And maybe someone will try to compile the kernel and world with it.
>
> I hate to be the skeptic, but looking at OpenWatcom 1.0, it only produces
> dos and win32 binaries.  It will be a *long* time until it targets Unix
> correctly.

I think the bigger problem is to make the compiler a Unix program
itself. The whole tree is pretty much non-portable at this time.
Generating code for Unix is the least of the problems (assuming
no compiler special libc implementation).

I started playing with TenDRA as well and even though the compiler
isn't usable yet, it's much more Unix oriented. Instead of mucking
with getting a proprietary make variant to compile or figuring out
if you should replace all slash options for dash options, you can
pretty much focus on the compiler itself from the word go.

Needless to say that for OW I'm going to piggyback the Linux port.
TenDRA has a higher chance of being able to compile world and kernel
I think before OW.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          [EMAIL PROTECTED]