Daniel Eischen wrote:

Making -pthread a NOOP _would_ (*) break the application
in the link stage; it would be obvious when the application
failed to link with lots of unresolved pthread symbols.

Yeah it would break. It would break in a way where the first thing I would suppose to be the case would be a problem with the compiler install instead of what it's supposed to tell me. I still stay by this: This is silly and annoying for someone not esp. interrested in all those wars about which thread lib is better then the other.