Matthias Andree wrote:

Richard Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

But that kinda defeats the purpose of RCNG.  One of the best features of
RCNG is that it makes it easier to add/delete applications from the
system.  Not using it for this purpose reduces its utility.

Let's not let the typical BSD traditionalism get in the way of using
RCNG for what it's designed.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not advocating
Linux-style integration of packages/ports.  But this seems fairly
harmless.

Ports belong into /usr/local, not into /etc. There should be some hook
that allows port start scripts to run before some base system scripts,
and if Oliver's two-staged "reevaluate" approach supports this with /
and /usr in separate partitions, then why not take his suggestion?

There's nothing that prevents RCNG from stretching out its fangs to
/usr/local/etc/rc*, in fact, hier(7) encourages that.

If I get the picture right, what's suggested is that after mounting
local file systems, the RC order is re-evaluated, and again after
mounting remote file systems ("diskless"). This would allow the system
to gradually complete its /etc/rc* picture.

Another idea would be to use unionfs or something to keep
/usr/local/etc/rc.d in the root partition for real, and when it's
shadowed by the actual /usr/local or /usr mount, punch a hole so you can
look at the rootfs with unionfs or something. I'd like Oliver's
suggestion better though.

I guess I'm not really arguing for putting the startup scripts for ports in /etc/rc.d (contradicting what I said earlier). But I do think that RCNG/rcorder needs to be extended to handle ports. And it needs to be done in a more comprehensive fashion than just adding special hooks for backend databases. The multiple rcorder evaluation method you mention sounds like a good place to start.

The unionfs idea is also interesting. But I doubt many people trust it enough to use it for this purpose. It's a shame really, but that's another discussion.

Richard Coleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]