On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

In message <alpine.bsf.2.00.1003050940290.5...@fledge.watson.org>, Robert Watso n writes:

[...] it's that changes in layout come with a less visible but much larger cost than "svn mv".

Really stupid question:  Doesn't svn support symlinks ?

Yes, but does that help? The issue is not user applications that can't find their header files, it's people who maintain patchsets in revision control systems, such as svn, Perforce, git, etc, whose work will be derailed when automatic merging fails. As I said, I've run into this with the TrustedBSD work several times: someone rearranges files in the network stack or VFS and you're left trying to figure out where the code moved, how to re-apply your changes, whether you've missed anything, etc. Continuity over time in code location makes that task orders of magnitude easier, and costs the project little.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge