On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

In message <alpine.bsf.2.00.1003050912340.5...@fledge.watson.org>, Robert Watso n writes:

Doing that kind of rearrangement [...] would be a nightmare for anyone with large [...] patches, so I'd say we could pretty much rule that out outright.

I would say that we should do it occasionally, to encourage these FreeBSD users to contribute as many of their local changes back to the project, as possible :-)

Absolutely -- and rearranging a tree is a good way to invalidate all those patches as well :-).

It's a trade-off, obviously, but what it does mean is that we shouldn't rearrange the tree without thinking about both sides: it's not just the aesthetics of a particular layout over another, it's that changes in layout come with a less visible but much larger cost than "svn mv".

Robert