Quoting Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@des.no> (from Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:05:34 +0200):

Alexander Leidinger <alexan...@leidinger.net> writes:
Please consider using SVN instead. A lot more users will be able to
check out from there.

We don't grant non-committers access to the Subversion repo.

Ooops... seems I misremembered his status. Somehow I associate him with something FreeBSD related. Andrey, did you participate in a GSoC?

It looks like other people had a look at sysinstall, not at sade. As
sysinstall is supposed to be used at installation time, and the intent
for sade was to offer the functionality (or more) of the part of
sysinstall which is useful after installation (and to prevent admins
from using sysinstall after the installation to prevent some unwanted
foot-shooting), I do not think that we need to think about a strong
lock between sysinstall and sade.

Yes we do.  Otherwise we'll just end up back where we are today, where
if you want anything more complicated than a single-disk install you
have to drop into the fixit shell and do it manually before running the
installation procedure.  Anythig that sade can do, we want sysinstall to
do as well, and we don't want to implement everything twice.

From the man page:
---snip---
NOTES
     The sade utility aims to provide a handy tool for disk management tasks
     on an already installed system.
---snip---

Disk management tasks contains stuff which exceeds what sysinstall needs to provide. One possible extension is to display content from /etc/dumpdates along with partitions (would be helpful if someone uses dump to make backups and wants to delete a partition, but only if there is a recent backup available).

My suggestion is to add a "sysinstall mode" to sade where it operates
under certain (minor) constraints and reports what it did in a format
that sysinstall can parse, so sysinstall can just fork-exec sade instead
of duplicating the code.

I think this is more complicated than to refactor the interesting part into a backend with an API which both tools can use. This would also allow someone to write a GUI program (e.g. for PC-BSD).

Again, there is no need for a *strong* lock between sysinstall and sade. Both should provide similar features regarding partition and slice handling, but they do not need to share exactly the same interface code.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Above all else - sky.