"Charles M. Hannum" wrote:

> That's also objectively false.  Most such environments I've had
> experience with are, in fact, multi-user systems.  As you've pointed
> out yourself, there is no combination of resource limits and whatnot
> that are guaranteed to prevent `crashing' a multi-user system due to
> overcommit.  My simulation should not be axed because of a bug in
> someone else's program.  (This is also not hypothetical.  There was a
> bug in one version of bash that caused it to consume all the memory it
> could and then fall over.)

In which case the program that consumed all memory will be killed.
The program killed is +NOT+ the one demanding memory, it's the one
with most of it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "Would you like to go out with me?"
        "I'd love to."
        "Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
next?"