Sorry, this is somewhat late.

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

> | Have you given consideration to systems where the user/group
> database is
> | kept for (possibly a large) number of computers in a centralised
> manner by
> | say hesiod or nys (nis+). It would be nice if there was an easy
> interface
> | with these so that distributing the local system id numbers need not be
> | done by hand.
>
>   It's complicated.  We do have a distributed database (NetInfo) and
> we considered perhaps using the name of the NetInfo domain to
> determine local vs. foreign.  The problem is that distributed
> databases are sometimes hierarchical, and can be mixed.  For example:

Well, people for some reason miss the point. What I was talking about is
the 'interface', and that it be easy to attach things to it.

Site A will want to distribute the ids via hesiod.
Site B will want to distribute the ids via nis+.
Site C wants to do it via Netinfo
Site D wantd to use LDAP.

There may be others (SNMP?).

One way to do this is for example to have:
        a) a parameter (by default null) that specifies which program
           to run to get a list of local system ids
        b) a parameters (by default null) that specifies which program
           to run if we want to verify if a certain id has been added
           to the set of local ids since the startup.

As the program can be anything (inc. a shell script) almost any way of
distributing the local systems ids can be accomodated.

This is of course just one way to achieve it (think of PAM).

[snip]