On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 12:58:42PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> Then it's your _script_ that should do careful locking to avoid tripping
> up over itself, surely? :-)

Yeah, in fact it does, it uses lockf ;-p

> Let me take a step back.  I'm not saying that what you're doing to ftpd
> is wrong.  I'm saying that it's probably not worthwhile adding this
> feature to the stock ftpd when it's such a quirky work-around.

Hm, I wouldn't call it quirky. It would be nice to hear what others think
though. I've already received one positive private reply.

> I have several local hacks to ftpd which I think are very useful, but I
> don't think they should be added to FreeBSD's ftpd because they're not
> general solutions to wide-spread problems.

I'm in the anti-bloat camp, and I agree with this sentiment.

Cheers,
--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."