As I hope I conveyed in my initial reply to Peter; I think the UDI
architecture is interesting, and may have something for us to learn from
next time we feel the need to restructure our driver architecture.  UDI's
real strengths are likely to show up as we try to improve our
multiprocessor performance if anywhere.

On the other hand, Matt speaks from a lot of experience, and this is why
I'm keen to see what UDI actually translates to in terms of code and
performance.  Until that time the issue is more or less deadlocked; the
UDI folks know that we're cautiously interested, but as I told Mark
Evanson late last year, we really need something more substantial to
convince us that we should abandon our _very_ thin driver architecture
for one that's at least an order of magnitude more complex.

> Mike Smith has been interested in getting FreeBSD involved in this. My
> attitude has been "Over my dead body".... (you have to watch out saying
> things like that- someone might respond with, "Uh, okay....")
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Peter da Silva wrote:
>
> > > Yes, I've looked at it. It's a very bad idea. I know some of the people
> > > involved, and I spent a substantial portion of the early 90's running
> > > aroudn doing the DDI at Sun with the notion it would bring a grand
> > > interface for all Unices.... etc... I've seen many, many, efforts in this
> > > area.
> >
> > Hmmm... I didn't see any mention of FreeBSD on the page, so I thought it'd be
> > worthwhile raising a flag. It looked at first glance sort of like an upgraded
> > version of Intel's RMX-86-based UDI stuff from the '80s. I don't recall that
> > being really horrible, but I'll take your word for it.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]