[.....]
> Someone who has this much spare energy for tracking down ancient
> problems in technologically-uninteresting code should be getting
> some reward for it.  In a project like this, it seems to me that
> the standard reward is a certain degree of respect, and I think
> Matt's recent work has earned him a bit more respect than he seems
> to be getting.
[.....]

IMHO Matt is respected far more than you think.  But as he points out
himself, you never get to see that respect - you just tend to get
dumped on from a great height when you do anything slightly wrong -
even if that wrongness is just a different way of doing things.

--
Brian <br...@awfulhak.org>                        <br...@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <br...@openbsd.org>