In some email I received from Brian Fundakowski Feldman, sie wrote:
> How do you feel about (after getting it fixed in -CURRENT) helping with
> converting ipfw(8) to just a front-end to ipf? I think it's worth discussing
> whether it's actually worth it to rewrite IPFW or just work on improving
> ipfilter. (discussion moved to -hackers)

I imagine they might be fighting words to some ;)  As I see it, if you
added hooks for divert to ipfilter in FreeBSD and maybe added the rule
number bits (I *know* there are going to be people who'd just die without
it) then I can't see why you'd need ipfw.  I imagine that would be a hell
of a lot less work than bringing the features of ipfilter into ipfw.

It'd also be one of those steps forward in compatibility between the various
BSDs...

Darren