Ok, but for a kernel hacker this *should* be funny.

    My system locked up because it had too much memory.  Specifically, there
    is a contrived limit to the size of the kernel malloc pool of 40MB,
    and 80MB for the entire pool based on VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX.

    Unfortunately, if you have a lot of memory the vnode cache can actually
    wind up *using* 40MB, because the system isn't throwing away active
    VM objects and so isn't throwing away vnodes.

    Result: lockup.

    Since we have increased the hard page table allocation for the kernel to
    1G (?) we should be able to safely increase VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX.  I was
    thinking of increasing it to 512MB.  This increase only effects
    large-memory systems.  It keeps them from locking up :-)

    Anyone have any objections?

                                                -Matt