On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Vincent Poy wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
>
> >     I've had great results with the Tyan 1836DLUAN/Thunder 100's.
> > I've got several boxes with 1GB of RAM and dual 450's humming along.  For
> > comparison one system with less memory and a SuperMicro board but identical
> > system software has had a couple of wierd spontaneous reboots over the last
> > few months.
>
>       Cool... Is 1GB of ram really needed?  We used to run a 64 meg
> system then 128 meg and then 384 meg, it doesn't seem to do much even for
> a heavily loaded ISP Server.

        Not really.  The customer whose box this is chose this much memory
because his previous server was a 256MB UltraSparc that was swamped all the
time with a load of 6 to 7.

        The real problem was poor CGI programming.  I made them fix them.
Now it toodles along with ridiculously low loads.  All the websites and the
mysql db fit in core. ;-)

        Adrian
--
[ adr...@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]