On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 08:25:59AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:

> > I don't like restricting the breaking of mandatory locks to the
> > superuser.  It could be restricted to specific users (say file owner +
> > root)...
>
> How 'bout "anyone who can kill the process holding the lock?"

 + file owner ( + root ).

Otherwise I would be able to lock ~wes/FreeBSDmarkers and you wouldn't
be able to do anything about it until either notifying me or notifying
root about the process I accidentally left hanging.

[Not that I'm likely to ever need more than an advisory lock on that
 particular file, but the principle...  :-]

Hm. ``chmod go-"MayLock" ~wes/Fre*''  The sticky bit could be used.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.