On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Tom Evans wrote:

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Cy Schubert <cy.schub...@komquats.com> wrote:
Changing the behaviour by default would change the semantics of @reboot,
altering  the behaviour of cron jobs which rely on the brokenness. What if
both behaviours are wanted on the same system? Unlikely, as I can't see
anyone relying on this broken behaviour. Having said that, I'm sure there
are cron jobs that do rely on the broken behaviour, so it may be best to
simply deprecate the broken behaviour and make one or the other a command
line option.

The problem is that the behaviour is not broken, it works exactly as
described in crontab(5) - it is just confusing.

But crontab(5) just says "startup", when really it means "cron startup", so: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=227981

It's also slightly nonsensical - the command isn't run at reboot, it
is run at boot.

It isn't just at boot, even.  Really it should be called @cronstart.
But that ship probably sailed a long time ago. A better alias could be added and @reboot marked as deprecated. (This does not address the technical problem of really only running something at system startup. IMHO, rc scripts are a better fit for that.)