:to hold a write lock on the range you didn't want rewritten; so
:long as it honors the advisory locks, there'd be no chance of it
:screwing up, unless you got bit by the stupid POSIX lock close
:semantics.  Stupid POSIX; that's the other one I'd put in: the
:ability to:
:
:       int     i = 1;
:
:       fcntl( fd, F_NONPOSIX, &i);
:
:It would help out the NFS locking daemon to no end...
:
:                                       Terry Lambert
:                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    We could implement this trivially, and I'm pretty sure we could
    implement some sort of free-space semantics trivially too, at least
    for UFS, using a struct flock to pass the parameters to a fcntl.

                                                -Matt