:In my case I'd be better off with shared memory objects that aren't
:persistent but appear in the name space so that I don't accidentally
:start copying a virtual bus file when the programs exit improperly.
:In the sparse matrix calculations with no checkpointing or need to appear
:in a name space I'd think the best thing would be to use VM with the matrix
:initially mapped to a copy on write zero page.  I guess you can't
:do that without mmap because of swap allocation.
:
:Peter
:
:--
:Peter Dufault ([EMAIL PROTECTED])   Realtime development, Machine control,

    If you can fit the whole thing into a process's VM space, then you
    can certainly use mmap(...MAP_ANON...) combined with madvise(... MADV_FREE)
    to implement a sparse memory object.

    There was talk a while ago about feeding MADV_FREE through to the
    filesystem layer.  I was under the impression that SUN does that, does
    anyone know?

                                                -Matt