On 01/16/2012 17:03, Atom Smasher wrote:

i bought myself a LENOVO T510 when it first came out, around early 2010. it's got an i5 CPU and Arrandale GPU. it's two years old and on freeBSD i STILL can't run xorg properly with it. linux has run fine with it since i opened the box. last i checked, freeBSD will be support this GPU in R9... or maybe R10...?

The usual explanation for this is that FreeBSD is the server OS and doesn't need to worry about desktop-only hardware. (Not that I agree with such position.) I noticed that FreeBSD overall isn't too good for laptops (correct me if I am wrong). Even if Arrandale GPU worked, there is no working network manager in kde or gnome, able to find and setup WiFi networks without user typing anything. Also FreeBSD isn't able to enter (and come back from) the sleep mode. Also it can't stop the hard drives when the system is idle (last time I tried I got system crash). These make it very difficult to use FreeBSD on the laptops. Major usability issues.

Yuri