On 1/16/12 10:20 PM, John Kozubik wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Steven Hartland wrote:

I was disappointed to see that 8.3-RELEASE is now slated to come out in March of 2012. This will be ~13 months since 8.2-RELEASE and is typical of a trend towards longer gaps between minor releases.

I must say as a small company that runs ~200 machines on FreeBSD
I do see where John is coming from, as it is very time consuming to keep things up to date and new is not always better e.g. we still have boxes stuck on 6.x as issues introduced in the Linux compat after that caused
problems.

That said I'm in two minds as the features that have been brought in by
the more rapid dev cycle like ZFS have been great.

The features are great - nobody doesn't want the features! Like I said in the original post, as wonderful as ZFS on FreeBSD is (and we are deploying it this year) it is only now (well, in March) with 8.3 that I feel it is finally safe and stable enough to bet the farm on. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

If that's the case, then, ZFS could have been developed just as it has, in a development branch, and not been used as justification for (mutiple) major releases and all of their disruption.
but it would not have gotten the testing it did.

As I said in the original post - we should be on 6.12 right now, and bringing out 7.0, with ZFS v28.

that was my feeling when we went to this "bring out a new major release every 3 weeks" scheme.

We must however look at why Major and Minor releases are different.

A major release means that kernel ABIs  (inside the system) have changed.

We needed to change the ABIs between 4 and 5 for sure (threaded kernel) and
between 6 and 7 for sure, (second round of threading work).
7 and 8 also really required a change.
I'm not sure about 5-6 and 8-9.