On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 17:51:52 +0100 , Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > also be to enable drill so that we have a command-line dns lookup tool
> > in the base, but that's trivial once you've got ldns imported.
>
> Does that means loosing host(1) ? That would be somewhat annoying.

You seem to have missed another message Doug posted to this thread
(message-id <4ff36174.2000...@freebsd.org>, dated Tue, 03 Jul 2012
14:17:40 -0700) wherein he wrote:

> Whether we do the above or not, ldns/drill should be imported into the
> base so that we have at least one command line DNS resolution tool. A
> good "junior hacker" project would be to make a host(1) clone using
> ldns. If users want the regular bind tools, ports/dns/bind-tools
> already exists.

I was curious and started poking at ldns to create such a tool. It
shouldn't be difficult for anyone familiar with C and DNS who has the
tuits to spare.

--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren