disk would write data

I suspect that I'm encountering situations right now at netflix where this
advice is not true.  I have drives that are seeing intermittent errors, then
being forced into reset after a timeout, and then coming back up with
filesystem problems.  It's only a suspicion at this point, not a confirmed case.
true. I just assumed that anywhere it matters one would use gmirror.
As for myself - i always prefer to put different manufacturers drives for gmirror or at least - not manufactured at similar time.

2 fails at the same moment is rather unlikely. Of course - everything is possible so i do proper backups to remote sites. Remote means another city.