On Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 9:54, Patrick Dung wrote:

> 1) Perl version change within Major release
> If I remembered correctly, FreeBSD 9.0 shipped with perl 5.12 packages in
> the DVD.
> But in FreeBSD 9.1, Perl 5.14 is shipped.
>
> I think Perl version should be consistent in the FreeBSD 9 series.
> The change of Perl version may make user difficult to upgrade other perl
> packages due to dependency issues.

The ports tree is a "rolling release"  and decides what the default perl
version is, not the FreeBSD release. Let's ignore that though and take a
peek into history using FreeBSD 8 series as an example because it's
closer to EoL.

Perl 5.8.0 is officially released July 18, 2002.
Perl 5.8.9 is officially EoL on Nov 6, 2008.

FreeBSD 8.0 released Nov 25, 2009. The ports tree's default Perl version
at that point in time is Perl 5.8.9. Both Perl 5.8.9 and 5.10.1 are
available as packages at that time.

FreeBSD 8.4 released June 7, 2013. The ports tree's default Perl version
at that point in time is 5.14.2.

FreeBSD 8.4 could be the last release in the FreeBSD 8.x series. Its
estimated EoL is June 30, 2015.

Do you see the problem with having to support an ancient Perl version
that is 13 years old? I'd suspect many modern Perl applications to not
even work on Perl 5.8.9.

> I know pkgng should replaced the old package management tools in FreeBSD
> 10, I hope the situation would improve.

After the EoL of FreeBSD 8 (estimated June 30, 2015) the old package
tools are scheduled to be removed from FreeBSD. This change will be
MFC'd back to 9-STABLE and the release at that time (perhaps
9.4-RELEASE?) will not have the old pkg_* tools. This seems a bit odd to
happen in the middle of a series because of POLA, but we can't support
the old package tools forever and FreeBSD 9.1-9.3 will have given you
plenty of opportunity to migrate to the new package format and ease the
upgrade to FreeBSD 10.x.

> 2) pkgng
> I think it has checksum checking on the files in the packages.
> Could pkgng detect the packages was being tampered?

man pkg-check

  pkg check -s is used to find invalid checksums for installed packages.

> Or how can user authenticate that the package is build by FreeBSD?

I don't think packages are signed yet, but this is permitted by the new
pkg design and will hopefully happen before too long.

> 3) FreeBSD's own systat
> Yes. there is bsdsar in the ports, but I would like to see improvement.
> For example, stat for multiple CPU, number of open files/context
> switches, one statistics file per day, etc...

I think systat is great, too. We could probably import some
functionality from OpenBSD as I recall their systat has more features.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope I've answered a couple of your
questions.