On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, someone on freebsd-hackers wrote:

> > They dont want your stinking binary contributions. Get used to it.
>
> Not suprisingly you're both wrong. Many binary-only ports exist
> in the FreeBSD ports tree.

World is not black and white.

There are binary ports (for example netscape). But there are no well
defined procedures for including binary device drivers with FreeBSD.
Even building modules outside /usr/src/sys/modules is not easy task.
What about asking for additional driver modules on fresh install?

Lack of well defined procedures for inclusion of binary only drivers is
definitely our shortcoming. We are moving to right direction (kernel
modules etc.), but we are not there yet.

There are reasons for binary only drivers. For example - ADSL, it is
coming more common, but supply chain is just too long. Card manufacturers
are helpful, they provide programming information, but they are not free,
they just can't ignore chipset suppliers (who are not ready for releasing
some firmware yet).

best regards,
taavi