On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> If your company's infrastrucutre changes are made in a way that if
> the project adopted them it would help binary support, I'm sure that would
> be accepted.
>
> ie. if we just made function foo() more generic and then you could
> simply provide a KLD, that would make everyones life easier.

Still, I personally believe, that "core" or general "freebsd community"
should explicitly state, that support for binary drivers and support for
easier inclusion of binary driver or just third party driver is eagerly
encouraged. And as much as possible, easy inclusion of binary drivers
sould be kept in mind whether makeing changes to /usr/src/Makefile or
kernel interfaces or even discussions on the freebsd lists.

This is quite similiar to issue of freebsd native binaries or linux
emulated binaries. When linux vs. freebsd question arises in press we (or
Jordan mostly :) ) says, that it does'nt matter - it just works.

Why we do not take similiar position on binary drivers - they just
work, and freebsd community just encourages this?

best regards,
taavi