On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> To summarise:  It is broken,

        According to your definition of broken, which we have not
necessarily reached a consensus on.

> Not only that, but people who don't understand that it is broken are
> unable to understand simple facts.

        Or perhaps we understand the simple facts, but there are more
complex facts that make this change a bad idea.

>  In addition, it took the FreeBSD
> project about 7 years to finally get their daily runs to run exactly
> once, once every day.

        This is overstating the case. It was never really considered a
huge issue by most, and at various times in the past the "correct" change
for the majority of our userbase got mired down in socio-political
arguments that had nothing to do with the technical merits.

> What we haven't seen is any technical opposition to the algorithm used,
> which has been explained.

        What you are seeing is opposition to the idea itself. I'm not
going to waste time analyzing the implementation of what I think is a bad
idea. :)

Doug
--
    "The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and
     to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."