On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Alexey V. Neyman wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Michael C . Wu wrote:
>
> >(Why is vfs.vmiodirenable=1 not enabled by default?)
> By the way, is there any all-in-one-place description of sysctl tuneables?
> Looking all the man pages and collecting notices about MIB variables seems
> rather tiresome and, I think, pointless. I doubt if they are all
> documented in man pages.

sysctl(3) describes a number of the constant-named sysctl variables, and a
number of sysctl's are described in the man pages associated with the
features tweaked by the sysctl's.  For example, the jail(8) man page
describes the jail.* namespace.  However, you're right that there are vast
hoards of under-documented sysctl's.  That said, probably only the
"tweakable" (writable) sysctl's need to be documented in the general case,
since many are used for the sole purpose of exporting kernel data for
supported interfaces, whereas the sysctl's are subject to change.  For
example, a large number of read-only sysctl's were introduced to support
the non-setgid-kmem operation of top, systat, and various other *stat's
recently.  Also, many sysctl's are "self-documenting", in that the
declaration of the sysctl macros in-kernel include a description field.  I
don't think sysctl(8) currently knows how to read that field, but if you
look at the SYSCTL definitions in the kernel source, they're probably a
decent starting point.  A magic script to extract the sysctl names, types,
and descriptions might be useful..

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services