It's randomness that will kill performance.  You know the old saying
   about caches:  They only work if you get cache hits, otherwise
   they only slow things down.

                                                -Matt

:Which is ok if there isn't too much activity with these data
:structures, but I'm not sure if it works when you have a lot
:of metadata activity (though I'm not sure in what kind of
:workload you'd see this).
:
:Also, if you have a lot of metadata activity, you'll essentially
:double the memory requirements, since you'll have the stuff cached
:in both the internal structures and in the VM PAGE cache. I'm not
:sure how much of a hit this would be, though, if the internal
:structures are limited to a small enough size...
:
:regards,
:
:Rik