On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     Again, keep in mind that the namei cache is strictly throw-away,

This seems to be the main difference between Linux and FreeBSD.

In Linux, open files directly refer to an entry in the dentry
(and inode) cache, so we really need to have dynamically growing
and shrinking caches in order to accomodate programs that have
huge amounts of files open (but we want to free the memory again
later, because the system load changes).

regards,

Rik

                http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/       http://distro.conectiva.com.br/