> > Though, a lack of good Unicode support on FreeBSD seems like
> > a legitimate enough reason for the move.
>
> Yes, it would, if it were true, see /usr/ports/devel/libunicode.

One port does not make good support.  For that FreeBDS has to
have native unicode support.

> In order to determine if they really made any savings or not -- I
> notice that they've increased the number of servers at Hotmail from
> 3,400 to 5,000 - you'd also have to determine how much they could have
> improved the performance by merely writing their code as an Apache
> module.

If as they claim they doubled the performance, they saved a
few mil in not having to use 10,000 servers.  My point was
they didn't save *as much money as* they could've, had they
used various performance increasing tricks we are well aware
of.

> So, was that 18 month development project really necessary from a
> technical standpoint, or only justified as a marketing cost?  Nobody
> outside Microsoft management will ever really know.

Suspect the most likely cause of conversion can be summed up
in the phrase `eating your own dogfood'.