On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:35:07PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> But the NetBSD style is exactly as easy to administer as the FreeBSD
> style.  It is more modular and easy to expand after the boot.  How do
> I start nfs on FreeBSD after it boots?  Well, you grep it out of
> /etc/rc*.  With the NetBSD style, it is as simple as '/etc/rc.d/nfsd
> start'

Better yet, a dependency system can allow you to design things so
inserting a NIC causes the network interface config script to restart
(adding the interface) and to inteligently restart network services to
bind to that interface.  The fact that you should be able to re-enter
the configruation process at just about any level should fix any number
of places where (for example) PC Card nics aren't equal to non-removable
nics.  Personaly, I can't wait to see this in action.

-- Brooks

PGP signature