:Ok, time to take a good stab at sticking my foot in my mouth here.
:
:Would it be possible to have a kernel mode where the read-only bit was
:turned on for malloc pools which shouldn't currently be accessed?  This
:could be gated through the spl() calls (or specific mutexes on -current),
:ensuring that something like getpid couldn't stomp on the vm structures
:w/o first doing a splvm().

    Kinda sounds like Multics :-)... no, it would be too messy trying
    to protect kernel structures in one subsystem from another.

                                                -Matt